21 Quotations by Robert Burton
- 1. A blow with a word strikes deeper than a blow with a sword.
- 2. A dwarf standing on the shoulders of a giant may see farther than a giant himself.
- 3. A good conscience is a continual feast.
- 4. A mere scholar, a mere ass.
- 5. England is paradise for women, and hell for horses: Italy is a paradise for horses, hell for women.
- 6. Hence it is clear how much more cruel the pen is than the sword.
- 7. Hope and patience are two sovereign remedies for all, the surest reposals, the softest cushions to l ...
- 8. I may not here omit those two main plagues, and common dotages of human kind, wine and women, which ...
- 9. Idleness is an appendix to nobility.
- 10. Ignorance is the mother of devotion.
- 11. Let the burden never be so heavy; love makes it light
- 12. Like dogs in a wheel, birds in a cage, or squirrels in a chain, ambitious men still climb and climb, ...
- 13. No cord or cable can draw so forcibly, or bind so fast, as love can do with a single thread.
- 14. Old friends become bitter enemies on a sudden for toys and small offenses.
- 15. One was never married, and that's his hell; another is, and that's his plague.
- 16. The devil is the author of confusion.
- 17. The fear of death is worse than death.
- 18. They are proud in humility, proud that they are not proud.
- 19. To enlarge or illustrate this power and effect of love is to set a candle in the sun.
- 20. Tobacco, divine, rare, superexcellent tobacco, which goes far beyond all the panaceas, potable gold, ...
|Robert Burton Quotes by Power Quotations|