131 Proverbs about Bitter
1. Don't be sweet, lest you be eaten up; don't be bitter, lest you be spewed out.
2. Take the bitter with the sweet.
3. Defeat isn't bitter if you don't swallow it.
4. Jade and men, both are sharpened by bitter tools.
5. No melon-peddler cries: Bitter melons. No wine-dealer says: Sour wine.
6. Patience is a bitter plant, but it has sweet fruit.
7. Sour, sweet, bitter, pungent, all must be tasted.
8. Cherries are bitter to the glutted blackbird.
9. Misfortunes are, in morals, what bitters are in medicine: each is at first disagreeable; but as the bitters act as corroborants to the stomach, so adversity chastens and ameliorates the disposition.
10. Bitter pills are gilded.