79 Igbo Proverbs / Page 2
- 11. A person can never run so fast as to run away from his backside.
- 12. A person who arrives at a feast when the cooked meat is being pulled out of the pot does not know what was endured by others to catch and cook it.
- 13. A person who chases a chicken is due a fall. The chicken is a master of the dodged escaped.
- 14. A person who happens by a neighbor's house at dinner time, and is invited to join the meal, does not swallow such large morsels as to break the string of pearls around his neck.
- 15. A person who is being carried to the market does not realize that the way is long.
- 16. A person who underneath the tall palm tree is best positioned to tell on which side the ripe head is.
- 17. A person who uses the world as his carrying pad will find himself carrying his load on his bare head.
- 18. A pot trader whose fortunes are all invested in her clay pots isn't much of a merchant.
- 19. A servant serves a king, he serves the king well; a servant serves two kings, he is true to one.
- 20. A slave boy is blamed no matter what he does: If he does not wash his hands, he is accused of being dirty. If he washes his hands, he is accused of wasting water.
|Quotes by Power Quotations|