21 Quotations by William Congreve
- 1. 'Tis well enough for a servant to be bred at an University. But the education is a little too pedant ...
- 2. A wit should no more be sincere, than a woman constant; one argues a decay of parts, as to other of ...
- 3. All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind.
- 4. Defer not till tomorrow to be wise, tomorrow's sun to thee may never rise.
- 5. For blessings ever wait on virtuous deeds,
- 6. Grief walks upon the heels of pleasure; married in haste, we repent at leisure.
- 7. He that first cries out stop thief, is often he that has stolen the treasure.
- 8. Heav'n hath no rage like love to hatred turn'd, Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn'd
- 9. Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned,
- 10. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
- 11. I came upstairs into the world; for I was born in a cellar.
- 12. I confess freely to you, I could never look long upon a monkey, without very mortifying reflections.
- 13. I find we are growing serious, and then we are in great danger of being dull.
- 14. I know that's a secret, for it's whispered every where.
- 15. If there's delight in love, 'Tis when I see that heart, which others bleed for, bleed for me.
- 16. In my conscience I believe the baggage loves me, for she never speaks well of me herself, nor suffer ...
- 17. Invention flags, his brain goes muddy, and black despair succeeds brown study.
- 18. Music has charms to soothe the savage breast
- 19. Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, To soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak.
- 20. They come together like the Coroner's Inquest, to sit upon the murdered reputations of the week.
|William Congreve Quotes by Power Quotations|