30 Zen Proverbs
- 1. A beautiful woman who is pleasing to men is good only for frightening fish when she falls into the water.
- 2. Be master of mind rather than mastered by mind.
- 3. Better to see the face than to hear the name.
- 4. Better to sit all night than to go to bed with a dragon.
- 5. Better to struggle with a sick jackass than carry the wood by yourself.
- 6. Chop wood, carry water.
- 7. Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish your opinions.
- 8. From the withered tree, a flower blooms.
- 9. If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are.
- 10. If you want a certain thing, you must first be a certain person. Once you are that certain person, obtaining that certain thing will no longer be a concern of yours.